I beloved nothing more than than giving my students a fresh new book; preferably ane with pages worn from use. I consider introducing the author's background, the time period and their writing manner among my favorite parts of the chore. But every and then often, a educatee will middle a book with suspicion. And sure enough, you go that dreaded telephone call from the principal. This, my fellow teachers, is a true story well-nigh a challenged book in the classroom.

My primary called me with the news.

"Mrs. So-and-So doesn't desire their child reading the novel considering it goes against their religious behavior."

The book in question was on the approved book list, and my students have been devouring it for years.

"I volition contact the parent myself," I told my principal, despite the fact that the mom had gone above my head. My philosophy when it comes to dealing with parents? Exist like an x-ray. Open up and honest communication is cardinal. Plus, I scored huge brownie points for taking this one off my principal's plate. He was more than happy to let me speak on his behalf.

I love electronic mail considering there is always proof of contact, merely I had to pick up the phone for this i.

An electronic message would likely get lost in translation and I'd come off sounding preachy and judgmental (non my intention of course).

"I empathize your beliefs," I began.

From in that location, I respectfully bodacious the parent that I was not trying to convert her girl to a new religion, but merely teach her about a time period in history where people were put on trial for their supposed beliefs. This piqued mom's interest. She herself had experienced religious persecution which blocked her from listening to new ideas.

I asked the parent if she would like a re-create of the book to preview outset.

She responded with a resounding, "Why yep I would." I recall I defenseless her off baby-sit, every bit this was an inquiry Mom had never heard before. Next, I offered to send her an email with some of the questions taken directly from my lesson plans. I made her office of the process and welcomed her into our classroom and made myself available for any farther questions.

She previewed the book and decided that she and her daughter would read it together and discuss it at habitation. The pupil brought these word points dorsum to the cooperative group lesson, which offered a varied perspective on the topic. At that place were a few questions she didn't answer, but you have to pick and choose your battles. I allowed the child to generate her ain questions and conduct research instead.

Many books are on the naughty list merely all the same demand to be read.

Maybe they teach a necessary lesson on humanity or empathy or open up-mindedness. People will always take beliefs that may be unlike from yours. I was happy I confronted this issue and didn't just give the child a completely alternating assignment. I was able to stand by my convictions and rise to this claiming. In addition, I learned a niggling bit nigh a new faith. In fact I used some of this pupil's questions the following year.

We are teachers….we reinvent and recycle.

Have you e'er had a classroom book challenged? How did you handle information technology?